I have never had much luck making brownies from scratch and have used the Ghirardelli Chocolate Brownie Mix when I am in a hurry to get a dessert on the table. But not today, I wanted to finally master a recipe from scratch to add to my repertoire. So I asked my good friend Lisa for a recommendation and she told me she makes the SoNo Brownies from The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook. They were super easy to make and they came out rich, chocolaty, with a flaky top. There is nothing better than a really good brownie!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F degrees and place rack in the middle of oven. Butter or spray a 8×8 square baking dish
- In a bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a saucepan melt the butter. Remove from heat and add sugar, corn syrup whisking until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture and whisk until blended together.
- Fold in chips.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Note: I made a double batch and froze half of the cooked brownies in individual portions. I let them come to room temperature before serving and they were delicious!