After having the most delicious pasta and meatballs at book club, I wanted to share the dish with my family this weekend. I made the meatballs this morning and they are disappearing so quickly, there may not be any left for the pasta I was planning for dinner. They are tasty on their own, or with a little ketchup or marinara sauce, not to mention they would be great as a Meatball Parmigiana sandwich which is how my husband is planning on eating them. It is a simple recipe and Lisa says they freeze well and then can be used as you need them. I have a feeling these will become a family favorite. Thank you Lisa for sharing the recipe with us!
I happen to have a Meatball Shaping Tool (a stocking stuffer from years ago that I was surprised I still had in my utensil drawer!) that made shaping the meatballs in uniform size a lot easier and less messy.
Lisa’s Homemade Meatballs
- 1 small onion, grated (will be very wet)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese – this may be too much – so you can reduce to your taste
- 1/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs – I used Gillian Food’s Gluten Free bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) ground beef*
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) ground veal*
- *1 pound (16 ounces) Meatloaf mix can be used in place of the beef and veal