Valentine’s Day is a week away and I thought I would give you a sneak peak at what my breakfast table will look like. I made candy heart trees for my centerpiece and continued the “conversation heart” theme throughout my table-scape. I shopped around (I am not satisfied until I know I have looked everywhere and tried everything!) and bought every brand of candy “Conversation Hearts” to see which ones I liked best. I decided to use Sweethearts because I liked their size and solid exterior, the others seemed really chalky and dusty.
PRINT DIY Conversation Heart Candy Trees
- FloraCraft White Cones – I bought three different sizes.
- Montana Orchid Pink Spray Paint
- Glue Gun & lots of extra glue sticks
- 2 bags of Sweethearts Recloseable Zipper Bag, 16oz Bag (there are not very many blue candies, so I used every last one in each bag)
- Spray paint the FloraCraft White Cones in a well ventilated area with the Montana Orchid Pink paint. Leave to dry.
- Separated the candy hearts into ramekins by color.
- Take one dry, painted cone and, starting at the bottom, glue on the candy hearts* in a random color pattern around the cone until you reach the top.
- Glue each cone with candy heart until they are all done.
- Arrange the cones on a cake plate and scatter the extra candy around the base of the cones.
*I chose to place the words facing the cone, but you can face them out if you prefer.
For us, especially on a school morning, it is a simple breakfast of heart (of course!) waffles and lots of crispy bacon. If you want some other fun ideas for Valentine’s Day check out this delicious brunch recipe, make these cookies , see fun gift ideas or send someone a treat!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (scant) Baking Powder
- 1 cup flour
- Combine the wet ingredients first: egg, milk, yogurt or sour cream and oil. mix until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix well, it will be lumpy.
- Scoop onto griddle or waffle iron and cook until ready
- Serve with syrup