I joined the Book of the Month Club after seeing one of their sponsored posts on Instagram. Can you believe I took the bait? Especially since I am very wary of monthly subscriptions and worry I will get stuck with something, month after month, that I wish I didn’t sign up for or pay for. So I am a bit surprised at myself for taking the plunge on a monthly book club. Here are my rationals for joining the Book of the Month Club:
- It is hard to find books to read month after month.
- I love to read, so how bad can it be?
- I can skip a month if I don’t like the choices
- I might be surprised and really enjoy having a small list of books, that have been reviewed, to choose from.
- I need to get out of my comfort zone and read all types of books.
- If I love the selections, I can add another book for $9.99 each to my box.
- I chose a 3 month membership and if I don’t like it I don’t have to renew it.
My first month was May and, once I set up my profile, I was able to see which book was selected for me and decide, by reading the judges reviews, if I wanted to keep that book or select another from the 5 choices. I passed on the book that was chosen for me and picked instead the thriller, I Let You Go. It arrived pretty quickly and I saved it to read over a long weekend away. It starts off slowly and picks up speed as you get further in to it. The farther I got into it, the better it got. I could not put it down, my heart was racing and I wanted to find out what was going to happen! I love when I get sucked into a story line. It was really good and has a huge unexpected twist. No spoilers here. I give I Let You Go 4 out of 5 stars and I was really impressed that my first book with Book of the Month Club was a runaway hit!
Click below for a preview
I skipped the June book because I didn’t love any of the choices and, for July, I decided to go with the book they picked for me. It is not what I would have normally gravitated too, but one of my reasons for joining was to try new genres. I will report back when I have read it.. to be continued..
If you are interested in the Book of the Month Club, you can Sign up for a 3-month Book of the Month membership for $15.99/month use SUMMER30 to get 30% of 3 books, a free tote and sunnies!