I took out my bin of swimsuits and it is a mix of black bottoms, several tops that don’t really fit well and maillots. A smattering of J. Crew, a few from Athleta (I love their Rash-guards), I think Target is in the pile and a top from Lands End. I can’t say they are stellar or they make me look like a model out of the Victoria’s Secret Catalog but, they have allowed me to be at the beach and in the water. Getting closer to my goal weight is amazing, but it still doesn’t mean I can wear what I wore when I was 13. I want to feel comfortable and be in a suit that fits properly. So I am on the quest to find what works on my figure… I don’t know what is worse, looking for a bathing suit, trying them on or actually wearing them in public? First, I am going to dive into that bin and try everything on, get rid of the ones that are past their prime or don’t work for me anymore and then I am going to order up a ton of suits…
top row: Athleta Wave tie front Suit / Solid and Stripe One Piece / Mara Hoffman Knotted Bandeau Suit // middle row: Ruffled Bandeau One Piece / Athleta Rashguard / Norma Kamali Printed Suit // bottom row: Mara Hoffman Printed Bikini / Iris and Ink striped halter Bikini /Emilio Pucci Bandeau Bikini / Athleta Swim
Seriously, how many suits can one person really have and actually wear? Unless you live at the beach or have a pool in your back yard, neither of which is my life, I think 3 suits should probably do it for me plus a few extras….
- Bandeau One Piece: A bandeau is great for lunches on the beach so you don’t get tan lines while you eat in the sun. Add a wrap and a cute sandal and you are dressed off the beach too.
- Classic One piece – Great for about any beach activity and you can’t go wrong with this one.
- Bikini – Who doesn’t want a tan tummy?? I am going to try this top for size
- Rash-guard or UPF Top – I wear this when I am swimming laps (!) and if we are at the beach for extended hours
- Board Shorts: For those times you want to cover up and get wet! I like these solid ones and this striped one.
- Cover-Up/ Pareos: I love a simple wrap like these pareos or a lightweight dress, like this one, and this one , to throw on over my suit.
What do you think? Does that sound like a good list? How many swimsuits do you have?