Be sure to make the dough in advance..
While the tart cooled on a wire rack, I washed and cut the strawberries, and melted 1/4 cup of bittersweet chocolate in the microwave. I brushed the chocolate onto the bottom of the cooled pastry and arranged the strawberries on top.
I melted 1/4 cup of Red Pepper Jelly on the stove in a small sauce pan until it was smooth and brushed the strawberries with the glaze.
Pate Sucree Dough
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup Semi Sweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup red pepper jelly, melted
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and yolk and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal, approximately 10 seconds. (To mix by hand, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.)
- With the machine running, gradually add water through the feed tube. Process just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; do not process more than 30 seconds. Test the dough at this point by squeezing a small amount together. If it is crumbly, add a bit more water.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Grasping the ends of the plastic wrap with your hands, press dough into a flat circle with your fists. This makes rolling easier than if the pastry is chilled as a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least an hour.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Roll out pate sucree to a 13-inch round and fit dough into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of an 8 inch springform pan. Trim excess dough around the perimeter with a paring knife. Freeze until firm, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pan on a baking sheet. Carefully line pastry with parchment paper, pressing it into the corners and edges, and weight with beans, rice, or pie weights. Bake about 20 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and continue baking until crust is light golden-brown, about 15 minutes more. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the tart cooled on a wire rack, wash and cut the strawberries, and melt 1/4 cup of bittersweet chocolate in the microwave.
- Brush the chocolate onto the bottom of the cooled pastry and arranged the strawberries on top.
- In a small sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup of Red Pepper Jelly on the stove until it is smooth and using a pastry brush, brush the strawberries with the glaze.
Keywords: strawberry, strawberries, tart, chocolate, dessert, make ahead