I always like to have bananas on hand, but for some reason we never seem to eat them before a few start going brown. I end up making banana bread pretty regularly, so much so that I now know the recipe by heart! It is a simple and delicious loaf either plain or toasted with a little butter. If you want to make it in advance , it freezes very well. Sometimes I will make two loafs at once, one plain and one with chocolate chips. Feel free to add any extra ingredients your family enjoys.
- · 1 stick butter, room temperature
- · ¾ cup granulated sugar
- · 2 eggs, room temperature
- · 1 cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- · 1 teaspoon baking soda
- · ½ teaspoon salt
- · 1 cup whole wheat flour
- · 3 large ripe bananas, sliced
- · 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- · ½ cup walnuts, shelled and chopped
- · ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven 350°F and grease a bread pan (9x5x3)
- Sift dry ingredients together: flours, baking soda, and salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, in two parts, to the creamed mixture
- Add the bananas, vanilla and walnuts (optional), mix well
- Pour the combined mixture into the bread pan. Tap the bread pan on the counter to release any bubbles and create a smooth top
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove when a cakes tester comes out clean Cool on wire rack
Once cool it can be wrapped and frozen or eaten immediately.