A good friend of ours brother is the creator and chef behind Ooma Tesoro’s marinara sauce and I recently got a chance (and several bottles) to test out in my own kitchen. Michael Tesoro and his wife Robin, are the creators behind the business. Michael makes his grandmother’s marinara sauce, just like she showed him and made for him and his family, one batch at a time, with the purist ingredients at their farm in the Berkshires. Robin is the Creative Director for the brand and has been a virtual friend of mine for some time. She follows this blog and we communicate via comments and email. When Robin asked me if I would be interested in trying their sauce, I jumped at the chance. We do not have a preferred jarred tomato sauce in our pantry and I was excited to test it out. I decide to make two family friendly dishes.
Here are Michael and Robin Tesoro cooking in their kitchen.
I made Chicken Parmigiana with gluten free bread crumbs. It is a super easy recipe and I made it on a week night when time was tight and having a jar of marinara on hand was a real time saver. The sauce was delicious and the perfect compliment to the breaded chicken. We had a few people over and it was met with rave reviews!
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs, I used Gillian’s Food’s Italian Bread Crumbs – Gluten Free
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 Chicken Cutlets, boneless + skinless
- 2 cups Jarred Tomato Sauce, I used Ooma Tesoro’s Marinara Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, slice into eight ¼ inch thick slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spread tomato sauce in the bottom of a 10-by-15 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper in shallow rimmed dish or bowl
- Beat egg in a shallow rimmed dish or bowl.
- Dredge (dip) the chicken cutlets, one by one, in the egg and then breadcrumb mix. Be sure to coat all sides well. Place on a plate. Continue with each cutlet until they are all coated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Place four cutlets in the heated skillet. cook until brown and turn on to the other side. Cook until browned. Remove and set on top of the tomato sauce in baking dish. Repeat until all cutlets are cooked.
- Place the baking dish in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- Turn oven to broil and move oven rack closer to the top of the oven
- Top each cutlet with a mozzarella slice and return baking dish to oven. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the mozzarella has melted and lightly browned in spots.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately
The second dish I made was spaghetti and meatballs. I had a batch of Lisa’s Meatballs and used bionaturae Organic Gluten Free Spaghetti with the Ooma Tesoro’s as the sauce. It was so good!! It is another easy dinner for family and/ or friends and will now be on my meal rotation with Ooma’s as the sauce.
Go get a few bottles for your pantry and let me know what you think!