- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed ( you can substitute kidney beans , we prefer cannellini)
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos or green chiles, drained
Garnish and sides
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- Corn bread or Tostitos Chips
- Heat oil in large sauce pan, add onions and bell pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent and softened.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the beef, breaking it up and cooking until beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle in salt and stir.
- Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker, add the tomatoes, sauce and beans. Stir to combine
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- For spicier chili: stir in the jalapenos or chiles.
- Serve with sliced scallions, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese
Delicious for Chili Nachos: I layer Tostitos Scoops on a rimmed baking sheet and top with the chili and shredded cheese. I bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts. Serve plain or garnish with a sprinkle of sliced scallion and a dot of sour cream.