I was going through my pile of recipes, trying to come up with an appetizer I had never made, and happened on slow-roasted tomatoes.
It is one of the simplest recipes I have ever made. A handful of ingredients that are tossed together and then placed in the oven at a low temperature for 7 1/2 hours. My kind of recipe!
The hardest part of the recipe is smelling the wonderful aroma of the tomatoes roasting and wanting to eat them. I placed mine on toasted french bread dribbled with olive oil and a sprinkle Maldon Sea Salt. I can only imagine how yummy they would be tossed over pasta or added to a salad. So many options, you may want to double the recipe!Print
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 16 medium)
- additional ingredients: french bread, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Maldon sea salt
- pre-heat oven to 200°
- combine first six ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisk to mix.
- Toss tomatoes in olive oil mixture until completely coated.
- arrange tomatoes, cut side up on a baking sheet with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray
- roast for 7 1/2 hours
- remove tomatoes from oven
- serve room temperature on toasted fresh bread slices drizzled with olive oil and your preference of the addition of balsamic and/ or salt
Keywords: Tomatoes, Slow Roasted , Appetizer, Salad, Roast, Slow roasted tomatoes