Last weekend we bought the wrong bread for sandwiches we were making and, instead of letting it go to waste, I made a bread pudding. It is such an easy recipe that can be dressed up or down with different garnishes. I chose strawberries and vanilla ice cream but wish I had some warmed caramel sauce on hand to drizzle over it. It’s yummy, especially the top pieces of bread that are toasted with the cinnamon sugar topping.Print
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups of bread – cut in 1″ cubes
- 5 cups half and half
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- generously butter a 9 x 13 baking dish and fill with the cubed bread.
- in a bowl whisk the eggs and then add the half and half, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- preheat oven to 325° degrees
- remove baking dish from the refrigerator. Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and drizzle over the bread mixture. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and then sprinkle over the bread mixture.
- bake in the center of the oven for 45-55 minutes.When the edges pull from the sides of the dish and a knife pulls out almost clean from the center, remove the dish from the oven.
- Serve warm with berries and ice cream. For a decadent treat add a warmed caramel sauce.
I divided the recipe between two smaller oval baking dishes and it came out perfectly.
photographs by Ridgely