I had an abundance of eggs in my fridge and was not sure what to make, so after a little hunting decided on a pound cake, but not just any pound cake…I made Bishop’s Cake. It is a denser cake than pound cake, but just as delicious and versatile. I would eat a slice with my coffee for breakfast or as dessert after a meal. I garnished mine with fresh berries and a sprinkle of Confectioner’s Sugar, but I bet it would be just as good with chocolate sauce and ice cream. With only 6 ingredients this recipe could not be easier and odds are you have everything in your kitchen…give it a try!Print
- 2 sticks (8oz /1 cup) sweet butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- preheat oven 350° degrees
- butter and flour a 10″ bundt pan
- cream butter and sugar until combined
- add sifted flour to creamed butter and sugar mixture. until combined, do not over mix.
- add vanilla extract, lemon juice and then one egg at a time. mix all until combined
- fold mixture into prepared bundt pan. smooth batter ( I like to tap bundt pan on the counter to settle and even the batter)
- Bake in the middle rack for 1 hour, after 30 minutes cover with aluminum foil, or until a tester comes out clean.
- cool on a wire rack for approximately 20 minutes, then remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- garnish: dusting of Confectioners Sugar and a side of berries