As many of you know, I am crazy for my slow cooker and thought why not make chicken soup in it?!? Nothing makes me happier than getting up in the morning and layering an assortment of ingredients into my slow cooker, turning it on and coming back eight hours later to dish up dinner. How could anyone not like that? It is so easy and if you have a tried and true delicious recipe (see suggestions here), you can’t go wrong. With that thought, I am always hunting for new recipes to add to my rotation.
Last weekend I made Paleo Crock Pot Chicken Soup with rice. It was the perfect lunch that both my husband and I really enjoyed. It would be just what the doctor ordered if you were home sick and wanted your Mothers homemade chicken soup. I am going to make another batch to put in my freezer to have on hand in case anyone is craving a little TLC…
Paleo Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence, or several sprigs fresh herbs
- 2 organic chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 organic chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3–4 cups filtered water
- Layer all ingredients in the slow cooker in order listed, making sure chicken is bone side down on top of vegetables. Add enough water to cover vegetables and come half way up chicken, between 3 and 4 cups.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool slightly. Remove skin and bones. Shred chicken meat and add back to soup in crock pot. Adjust seasonings, reheat, and serve.
I added a cup of cooked rice after it was finished cooking.
Keywords: slow cooker, Crock Pot, Chicken Soup, Healthy, Paleo