Are you looking for a crowd pleasing, make ahead meal, that looks like you spent hours in the kitchen, then you have to make the most delicious Shepherd’s Pie! It is fool proof and is better if you make it the morning of the day you want to serve it.
There is nothing better than Shepherd’s Pie on a cold Winters night!
We usually cook it on a Sunday morning to serve to a group coming over that night. I love knowing dinner is ready and the kitchen is clean before I get to my lunch! We then can go about our day and not worry about what’s for dinner.
I leave it out on the counter until we want to pop it into the oven. It takes about 20 minutes in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. Once it is cooked through, sprinkle white sharp cheddar on top and broil until browned. It smells divine and tastes even better!
We serve it with a big green salad and a side of Pickapeppa Sauce. The sauce is a blend of mild spices and lightly sweet taste that marries well with the pie. It really is the most delicious Shepherd’s Pie, one that you will go back to over and over again.
- 2 1/2 Lbs Idaho Potatoes, Peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels ( I prefer fresh, briefly cook about 5 ears in boiling water first)
- 3/4 cup white Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 350F
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and mash with the butter and heavy cream. Season generously with salt and pepper
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large saute pan and sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beef, thyme, and allspice, and cook until the meat is just cooked through, breaking up the pieces so it becomes almost crumbly. Add the corn and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top, making sure to completely cover the meat.
- bake for 20 minutes, or until hot through and through.
- Remove the pie from the oven and heat the broiler. Sprinkle the cheese on top and broil until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately..
Short Cut: Don’t have time to make the mashed potatoes? Buy the Bob Evans original mashed potatoes and spread them on top. No one will know the difference and they taste delicious.
Keywords: shepherds Pie, make ahead, ground beef, corn, kid friendly, travels, crowd pleaser, easy
to buy: Juliska Au Gratin Dish /