Every Fourth of July my nieces make a pie, this year Gigi and, her best pal, Charlotte, made a Very Berry Pie. They both love to bake and came up with the recipe on their own. I was so impressed and loved watching them interact in the kitchen. They used two pre-made frozen pie crusts; one for the bottom and the other one they rolled out to make stars for the top. It took them all-in-all about 15 minutes to complete and the end result was to die for. It proves that you don’t have to a master baker to create a prize worthy dessert! I hope you have a wonderful Fourth!
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 2 cups Strawberries, washed and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- dash Lemon juice
- 2 pre-made frozen pie crusts (Pillsbury is our favorite)
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Leave out pie crusts while prepare berries
- In a medium sized bowl, mixed cornstarch and sugar.
- Add in berries to cornstarch/sugar mixture.
- Toss well and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Let berry mixture sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add Berries to one of the pre-made pie crusts
- Use the 2nd pie crust to make a topping for the pie.
- Roll out crust and design top as desired.
- We cut out stars and layered for July 4th
- Lay pie topping over berries and rush with egg wash
- Bake in the middle of oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbles and the crust is golden brown
- Cool to room temperature
- Serve with ice cream
Keywords: pie, strawberries, Blueberries, Berries, Make Ahead