- white rice (we use Carolina)
- salt and pepper
- garnish with chopped parsley
- Fill saucepan with water, enough to cover rice but not to the top of the pan (you do not want it too high so it bubbles over when you add the rice), heat on high to a rolling boil
- When the water is boiling, add rice
- Stir the rice to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pot
- Cook rice in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, Heat water in kettle (optional)
- Take rice off heat, pour rice into a fine mesh strainer
- Rinse rice in strainer with cold water and shake off excess water
- Add boiling water from kettle to bottom of rice pot or add hot water from tap to rice saucepan
- Put strainer with the rice in the rice pot filled with water
- Place the pot with strainer filled with rice back on the stove on medium heat so that the water will continue to boil and steam the rice.
- Steam rice for 10 – 15 minutes
- Place rice in serving bowl, mix in butter, salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped parsley
Rice can be heated by steaming it or placing it in a covered microwavable dish and heating it in the microwave. If you heat in the microwave without a cover, place a damp paper towel over the rice.