Every Halloween, since we had children, my husbands’ family would come to our house to celebrate. The kids would come having already eaten dinner (otherwise we could never get them to have dinner once the had bags full of candy) and dressed to go trick or treating. The guys would take the kids around the the neighborhood, while the ladies stayed at our house waiting to pass out candy.
These Grab and Go Hot Ham Sandwiches are easy to make and even easier to eat!
To make it festive, I lined a shallow basket with handles with faux fall leaves and placed the fresh out of the oven sandwiches among the leaves. They stayed warm in the foil and were ready when everyone arrived back to our house. Because they are individually wrapped it makes it easy to pass around to guests, with little or no mess. I can’t think of Halloween without having them and we made up a batch this weekend to have on hand. They are perfect for a picnic or evening around the fire pit.
I hope you like them as much as we do!
FOR 4 SANDWICHES
- 1/4 Cup Soft Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Prepared Horseradish Mustard (you can also use Gulden’s Brown Spicy Mustard)
- 2 Teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Onion
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 1/2 Pound or 12 slices Baked Ham, thinly sliced (3 slices per sandwich)
- 4 slices Swiss Cheese (1 per sandwich)
FOR 24 SANDWICHES
- Pre-Heat Oven at 350F
- Combine the softened butter, horseradish mustard, poppy seeds, and onion in a medium bowl
- Spread the butter mixture on the top side of each bun
- Put one slice of Swiss cheese on the bottom half of each bun
- Put 3 slices of Ham on top of the Swiss cheese
- Cover the ham with the top half of the buns
- Wrap each bun in aluminum foil
- Heat for approximately 20 mins or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve Warm
We freeze the uncooked wrapped sandwiches and when we want to serve them we remove from the freezer, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat as directed.
For an appetizer, after heating we cut each bun in 4 and serve on a platter. YUM!
Keywords: Ham sandwiches, Ham and cheese, Hot Ham Sandwiches, Ham buns, Poppy Seed, Horseradish, Make ahead, Easy, Lunch, Dinner, Family Friendly, Freezer Friendly