I don’t know about you, but we are always looking for ways to liven up our meals and still eat as healthy as possible. My husband and I are both working on adding more vegetables into our dinners and as much as we love broccoli, it gets boring after eating it almost every single night. We started to look around for other quick, tasty recipes and this one popped out at us. We ended up taking the basic ingredients and combining it with what we liked best from the other options, namely I wanted raw red onions and my husband wanted the pine nuts. We served it room temperature with a really good tri-tip steak from Darien Butcher and riced cauliflower from Trader Joe’s (our new favorite side dish!). The balsamic tomatoes with pine nuts and the dressing created were delicious on the asparagus. My husband doesn’t like soft cheeses, so I left off the goat cheese but next time I am going to have that on my portion. Having a fancy looking side dish that can be made ahead, and tastes amazing is just what I needed in my repertoire, especially when I am asked to bring a vegetable to a party! With so many options, it can work along sider so many main dishes.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/3 red onion sliced
- Optional: Sprinkle with your favorite cheese
- Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes, pine nuts and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Arrange asparagus on a platter; top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with sliced onions and/or your favorite cheese