I put my tote, mind you the very lightweight MZ Wallace Medium Metro Tote, on the scale when I got home tonight and it weighed 10 pounds! WHAT??!!! No wonder my back was killing me on my walk down to my office this morning. It was a struggle and I decided then and there, when I got home, I would weigh my bag and all of its contents. 10 pounds later, I dumped the contents on my bed and found, probably, 9 pounds of things I do not use daily. In no special order:
- Umbrella – turns out it was hiding in the bottom
- Water bottle half full
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Calendar ring binder – My phone has a calendar!
- Notebook – Nope, I have Wunderlist to use instead
- 3 lip glosses (in addition to below cosmetics) – these I really do use regularly
- 1credit card case that holds all my reward cards – This I put in a drawer because I use my phone number at every store and an App called CardStar
- 1 business card case – I pulled a few out and putting into my wallet
- Wallet -filled with change that I dumped into our change drawer and receipts that I put in envelope on my desk
- 2 Truffle Pouches with charging cords for all devices, Wifi Puck, Jackery charging pack, pens, mints, aspirin, hand wipes, handkerchief… Oh My!
- Cosmetic Pouch with makeup and assorted hair ties – I am going to leave this in the office and pray I don’t have a makeup emergency on the go.. so maybe a compact will do?
- 2 sets of keys -this is crazy!
- Bag of snacks – totally necessary 🙂
- Assorted papers, bills, and letters
- Pair of flats – meanwhile, I have assorted shoes in the office!
- 4 pairs of glasses: readers, distance, computer and sunglasses (!)
I am sure I am missing something because I got crazy with how horrible the state of my bag had gotten and started trying to minimize the amount of junk I have been hauling around. I really need to do a weekly purge and maybe if I changed my bag more often, this would not be where I am today.
Clearly the bigger the bag the more I will stuff in it! I still want to be able to have my hands free and so a shoulder bag or strap is a must. Oddly enough, I walked into the MZ Wallace shop last week and their line now has some cute backpacks and crossbody styles..and I really love the lacquer fabric… I just have to go SMALLER!
Help! What is the perfect everyday bag that isn’t too big but fits the bill? Tell me!
Shop the Post