Have you ever been to a restaurant and had a dish that was so delicious you wanted to re-create it at home? There is a local Italian restaurant – Cafe Silvium – that we have been to several times and they bring the most amazing white bean appetizer to the table with yummy bread. The last time we were there, we tried to figure out the recipe and then recently tried to make our own at home.
I tried to find the small Cannellini beans but didn’t have time to go to more stores but the “regular” size worked. I bought canned beans and rinsed them well. I took a stab at the ingredients and measurements – and guess what?? It turned out really well. I don’t know if it is as good as Cafe Silvium, but it sure did disappear at Book Club!
Feel free to experiment with the ingredients and let me know what you do..it is pretty fool proof. I went light on the salt, so taste it and add more if you need it. I always lean towards less salt and add more later. One BIG tip.. it is better day two when the ingredients marinate the beans…. it is so good. I am so glad I made extra and had it every night until it was gone!
- 4 cans White Cannellini Beans
- ½ Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Red Onion, minced fine, I used a Mini-Cuisinart
- 3 Tablespoons Flat Parsley , minced fine
- 2 teaspoons Red Bell Pepper , minced fine
- 4 Cloves fresh Garlic, minced fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – to taste
- dash fresh pepper – to taste
- Rinse the beans with water and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk the Olive Oil, parsley, garlic, red onion, and red pepper. Sprinkle in salt and pepper
- Add the beans to the dressing in the large bowl, toss to coat.
- Let sit and marinate for 2+ hours before serving.
- Serve with bread, pita chips, etc. of your choice.
Better the next day!
I kept in a lidded Tupperware in the fridge and it lasted several days.
Makes a great side dish too