- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples (I used Gala) – peeled, cored and thinly sliced (extra for garnish) *I use this apple corer and cutter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional -I did not add)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish. ( I used individual 5 inch tart pans)
- In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, sugar, Vanilla and egg until fluffy.
- Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish(s)
- Combine to brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter and top with a few sliced apples.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.