We made these delicious Blueberry Limeade Cocktails for July 4th a few years ago (posted here) and I made them again this weekend! OH WOW! They are good and a great change from wine and beer. A fun cocktail that tastes delicious – looks festive and will quickly disappear! I thought I better make it a stand alone Recipe Post.
They are even more fun when you can make then and take them with you in the cool Mason Jar Cocktail Shaker and serve them up in my favorite Govino Go Anywhere Wine Glasses or if you prefer a very chilled drink, grab your Yeti. Add in some fun red, white and blue decorations and you have a party!
I found this yummy recipe from Portugese Girl Cooks
- 1 dry pint blueberries, divided
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 to 10 large limes juiced, about 2 cups, plus additional for garnish
- vodka or tequila (optional), about 1 to 2 oz per serving, or substitute with sparkling water for non-alcoholic
- Make Ahead – Reserve about 1/2 cup blueberries, and place the remaining blueberries in a medium saucepan.
- Using a muddler ( or potato masher, or a fork) mash the blueberries. Add in the sugar and water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer, and allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes a deep purple color.
- Strain mixture into a container with a lid, and discard the blueberry pulp. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Before serving, juice the limes and mix with the blueberry simple syrup in a pitcher, add the liquor if using, the reserved blueberries, and some sliced limes. Mix well.
- Non-Alcoholic Version – Instead of combining everything in the pitcher – you can put the liquor in the individual glasses to keep the limeade non alcoholic or per taste. Serve over ice.
- Serve in glass of preference and garnish with the fruit.
This recipe is easily doubled or tripled for a large crowd.
For a non-alcoholic drink, add some sparkling water or club soda for an extra special drink.
You could also soak the reserved blueberries in the liquor and makes for a nice surprise while drinking.
Keywords: blueberry, Limeade, Blueberries, Cocktail, Non-alcoholic, Vodka, Tequila