We are about to pack up our Sophmore to go back to College and a Senior to Boarding School. Both of our sons have been away at school for some time and we have gotten pretty good at getting them organized with everything they need to be happy in their dorm rooms.
I have put together a list of College Dorm Essentials to make your shopping and packing easier. You can find everything here plus many more suggestions in my College Dorm Essentials Shop.
Here are some things that are really useful:
- Comfortable Desk Chair – This is one item usually overlooked but so important. The small wooden issued desk chairs are uncomfortable and we are happy to promote studying in a comfy, ergonomic chair.
- Tool Kit – You will need this to assemble the chair and any other shelves, furniture you buy. Make sure it has a measuring tape and don’t forget scissors! This is usually overlooked
- Wall Hanging Supplies – You can not be over prepared for move in day. We have been know to be rushing around looking for push pins, missing scissors… so on the list are; Push Pins, Command Removable Hooks, and Over Door Hooks.
- Deep Pocket Fitted XL Twin Sheets – I like to buy several white fitted sheets for each boy – so one on the bed and one in reserve. Deep pocket is necessary to get over the mattress topper and mattress pad. We use Duvets and covers – so white works with whatever pattern they have.
- Lap Desk – If the kids want to work in their bed, this is a must-have. I know my lap top gets super hot and having the lap desk makes it much more efficient and comfortable. Having one big enough for a mouse is also a nice option.
- Desktop Organizer and Shelf – The space above the desks is so underutilized and finding a great organizing shelf unit is a great way to store supplies and books.
- Fan – Everyone needs a fan. It is great for moving the air and as a noise machine. The Dyson is expensive, but our kids love how easy it is to clean and I love that it is blade-less. They have each had their for years – money well spent.
- Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper – These are a game changer. Our kids LOVE their toppers and have even asked for them on their home beds. We spent more for the Tempur-Pedic ones and they have help up year after year. I will wash the cover when they come home for Summer.
Shop: 1. Keuirg K-Mini Single Serve Coffee Maker (reusable coffee filter pod) / 2. Yeti Rambler Insulated Tumbler / 3. Tool Kit with case / 4. Desk Lamp / 5. Compact Steamer / 6. Electric Cooker Pot / 7. Bath Towels / 8. Peel and Stick Removable Wallpaper / 9. 2019 -2020 Calendar – Planner / 10. Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker / 11. Lap Desk/ 12. Portable Charger / 13. Plastic Storage Containers / 14. Desk Top Shelf Organizer / 15. Apple Bluetooth AirPods / 16. Dyson Bladeless Fan / 17. Wedge Pillow
Download the Free Printable Dorm Room Checklist