- 3 lbs. cooking apples or approx. 4 apples (pink lady, honey-crisp or mutsu) peeled, cored and sliced ( I use this apple slice cutter and corer)
- ⅔ cup plus ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups flour, sifted
- pinch baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Place apple slices, ⅔ cup sugar, water, cloves and cinnamon in a sauté pan. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft. Remove from heat. Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and ground ginger in a medium mixing bowl. Cut the butter into 1 inch slices and mix into flour mixture. Combine with your fingers or pasty cutter to resemble cornmeal. Add the ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup light brown sugar.
- Remove apples from the refrigerator and take out the cloves and cinnamon stick. Layer the apples into the bottom of a 1 ½ quart ovenproof dish. Pour any liquid from the apples over them. Smooth gently but do not pack tight. Spread the topping evenly over the apples. Do not press it down.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and the top has browned.
- Move the baking dish to the top rack of the oven and turn on High for a few minutes to really brown the topping. Watch so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve at room temperature with a side of vanilla ice cream.
The Apples shrink down when cooking – so err on the side of more than less.
Keywords: Apple Crunch, Apple Crisp, Apples, Apple Dessert, Baked Apples, Crumb topping, Crunch Topping. Easy, Fall Dessert, Kid Friendly