- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter – room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- optional 1 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Line standard sized muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: Flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each until combined before adding the next one.
- Add applesauce and dry ingredients until the mixture is combined thoroughly.
- If you are including the pecans, add them to the batter, stirring by hand.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin tins evenly with the batter. Fill about 3/4 full.
- Bake 35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
** Frosted cupcakes can be stored overnight or frozen up to two months in an airtight container.