- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped coarsely (2 ½ cups)
- dried cherries (1 ½ cups) – you may need more or less depending on your preference
- colored M&M’S® (1 ½ cups) – you may need more or less depending on your preference
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Place the flour, baking soda, salt in a bowl and whisk to combine
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat to combine.
- Add vanilla, then the flour mixture and finally mix in chocolate.
- If making all cherry cookies: add dried cherries to dough and refrigerate 1 hour (go to #9)
- If making all M&M’S® cookies *: refrigerate dough (go to #9)
- If making two kinds of cookies: separate dough into into two bowls. Mix dried cherries into one bowl of dough and leave the other dough plain for now – refrigerate both bowls of dough for 1 hour.
- Remove Dough from refrigerator,
- Scoop dough with a 1 3/4″ ice cream scoop and arrange on a cookie sheet lined in parchment paper.
- Flatten dough balls with flat side of the spatula. Add M&M’S® around dough
- Bake for 8-10 minutes – when edges are golden brown
- Cool on sheets set on wire racks for 10 minutes
- Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely
*Lisa’s Note: Do not mix the M&M’S® into the batter. Scoop out the batter and place on the cookie sheet. Using the back of a spatula flatten the batter down and then place the M&M’S® around the dough. That way the colors pop and look cute!