- 1 cup blackberries + 8 more for garnish
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bottle of champagne or prosecco
- sprigs of thyme
- gold baking sugar for the rim (found in the cake decorating section)
- pat of butter
- In a small saucepan, bring blackberries, water, and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the blackberries are soft and the simple syrup has turned to a bright pink/reddish color. Remove from heat, allow to cool and then strain the blackberries from the simple syrup and refrigerate. This step can be done in advance as the syrup will keep for at least a week in the refrigerator.
- Prepare your champagne glasses. To get salt or sugar to adhere to the rim of the glasses. Take a pat of butter and gently roll along the edge of the glasses rim. Be careful to keep as close to the rim as possible. Dip the glasses in the gold baking sugar, making sure it covers completely.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the blackberry simple syrup in the Champagne glass, followed with a blackberry. Fill the rest of the glass with champagne and top with a sprig of thyme in each glass.