- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 large onions (about 3 lb.) diced
- coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, more for sprinkling
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Sauté onions with 2 teaspoons coarse salt until caramelized (nice medium brown color) this can take up to 45 minutes.
- add water to the onions in the skillet. Scrap the brown bits on the bottom of the pan as you deglaze the skillet.
- remove the onions from the stove and put in a colander over a plate to drain the excess liquid. Let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer onions to a medium bowl. Stir in yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper before serving and serve with vegetables and pita chips.