- 2 1/2 Lbs Idaho Potatoes, Peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels ( I prefer fresh, briefly cook about 5 ears in boiling water first)
- 3/4 cup white Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 350F
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and mash with the butter and heavy cream. Season generously with salt and pepper
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large saute pan and sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beef, thyme, and allspice, and cook until the meat is just cooked through, breaking up the pieces so it becomes almost crumbly. Add the corn and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top, making sure to completely cover the meat.
- bake for 20 minutes, or until hot through and through.
- Remove the pie from the oven and heat the broiler. Sprinkle the cheese on top and broil until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately..
Short Cut: Don’t have time to make the mashed potatoes? Buy the Bob Evans original mashed potatoes and spread them on top. No one will know the difference and they taste delicious.
Keywords: shepherds Pie, make ahead, ground beef, corn, kid friendly, travels, crowd pleaser, easy