- 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cups Baking Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup Melted Shortening
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Melt the shortening carefully in a pot on the stove. Watch it and take it off the heat when fully melted.
- Combine the brown sugar, molasses, shortening and eggs in a mixer.
- Place flour, baking soda and all the spices in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three parts. Blend well and be careful not to put mixer on too high and have the flour blow everywhere.
- When all mixed together, add in the cup of boiling water.
- Pour into a square baking dish
- Cook in the oven for 30 min test with cake stick to make sure done, remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream