When I was out looking for items to use for Terri’s dinning room (see post) I found these beautiful feather napkin rings that I wanted to use, but they were too expensive and not the right color for my theme. I decided to make my own feather napkin rings and, like all of my DIY projects, I got a little excited!
I searched high and low for all the right supplies and tried to keep within a tight budget. They do not look exactly like the inspiration, but I think they are beautiful and just what I had envisioned.
DIY Feather Napkin Ring Supply List:
- Napkin Rings – these are better than what I used
- Reynolds Freezer Paper
- Feathers: I used a mix of these speckled feathers and these turquoise ones (I cut them off the trim)
- Glue Gun & extra glue sticks
- Fabric Scissors
- Thread – turquoise to match the felt balls
- Ribbon – 2 sizes: One Turquoise ⅜ inch to cover ring and one brown ⅛ inch
- Wool Beads: Felted Wool Bead 40 Piece Color Packs- Green & Turquoise Mix
Total cost $2.50/napkin ring
- Gather all your supplies together.
- Blue Ribbon: Do a test to see how long the blue ribbon needs to be to cover the napkin ring and have some extra to tuck in at the end. Then cut everything to the length and quantity you need. set aside.
- Brown Ribbon: Determine the length you will need for the brown ribbon and cut it to the length and quantity you need. Set aside.
- Felt Ovals: Create a template for the felt ovals by cutting freezer paper to the size of your felt piece, iron the freezer paper, shiny side face down, to fabric. Using a oval template, draw as many ovals needed and then cut them out.
- Start with one napkin ring at a time: Using a nice length of thread, sew the ribbon into two loops and set aside.
- Heat up your Glue Gun
- Select feathers and glue to felt oval, set aside
- Glue ribbon end to inside of the napkin ring. Pull tight and wrap ribbon around ring. Be sure to cover the napkin ring. Half way, glue another spot inside the napkin ring to keep ribbon in place. Continue to full ring and one more glue at end.
- Glue top of napkin ring and place oval felt with feathers on top.
- Press to adhere
- Place some glue on top of the feathers, add a brown feather and put another dab of glue on top of the feathers
- Cover the feathers with the ribbon, pull tight and hold firmly to secure.
- Cut the ribbon to desired length and fold under, add glue to adhere and look neat on the inner side of the napkin ring.
- take your brown ribbon sewn in two loops and sew onto the top of the napkin ring, add one felted wool ball.
- Sew together and tie off
- fold the ends of the ribbon and cut in a diagonal, for a finishing touch
- continue with the same steps for the other napkin rings.