I made them! It is super easy and a fun project you can tackle in an afternoon.
I bought some small silver bells, wire and silver wired ribbon. It is an easy and fast project that you could do with your kids. The bells come in all different colors and, depending on your decor, you could do all gold, red, green or multi-colored with matching or mixing colored ribbons.
I chose to be traditional and used silver bells. I ended making a ton of them – I didn’t know how many bells I would need when I started out and so I had a lot of leftovers… so I just kept making them until I finished them up! They are an inexpensive DIY and look so festive with patterned or colored napkins for Christmas. I have used them every year since I made them. I just have to “fluff” the silver ribbons back to their best shape after being stored in a ziplock.
They would also be a really nice hostess present with a set of napkins! Have fun and report back if you make them!
- 1/2″ Silver Jingle Bells – 144/pk – I used 28 bells per napkin ring.
- florist wire – cut in approx. 6″ lengths
- silver 1/8″ wired ribbon ( and here) – cut in approx. 6″ pieces
- needle nose pliers
- Cut the florist wire in a 6″ length and created a loop at one end so that the bells will not fall off as you string them onto the wire.
- Add the 28 bells to the wire
- Push the bells close together
- Take the end of the wire and put it through the loop on the other end, be sure the bells are strung tight together and tightly twist the ends of the wire together. Cut off any excess wire and tuck inside the bells. Tie the wired ribbon in a bow around the napkin ring.
The bows gets a little smushed when you store them, but the wire ribbon is easy to maneuver to make them come back to the shape you want. Happy Projecting!