This post contains Affiliate Links
I find appetizers so hard! Whenever it is my turn for book club or a group potluck to bring the appetizer, I start worrying about it days in advance. I can’t tell you the times I have brought guacamole or cheese and crackers. Very safe and not original!
What is your go-to appetizer to make?
I even created a shared board on Pinterest to save all kinds of appetizers: Appetizers: from small Bites, to dips and crowd pleasers. That way I can scroll through and find new recipes or ideas of what to make. Please follow the board and if you would like to participate, let me know and you can be part of the shared board contributors.
Which gets me to this post! Corn fritters. We first had them at our July 4th Beach Picnic. My good friend Christine is great at finding new recipes and she brought the corn fritters.
Are you wondering what a fritter is?
I had an idea, but wasn’t 100% sure.. So I look it up.. and this is what Wikipedia had to say..
A fritter is a fried pastry usually consisting of a portion of batter or breading which has been filled with bits of meat, seafood, fruit, vegetables or other ingredients. Fritters are prepared in both sweet and savory varieties.
You can see from the pictures below how they looked. What you can’t see is how good they were! We all loved them and they disappeared pretty quickly. To get the rest of the menu and recipes – go to the post July 4th Beach Picnic. It meal was a delicious and so fun to be at the beach with great friends!
- Prep Time: 4
- Cook Time: 46
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: Appectizer
Christine made these Yummy Corn Fritters for our beach picnic. She said they were easy to make and we devoured them!
- 2 c. fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 c. Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 jalapeño
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large Egg
- 4 tbsp. rice flour
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. olive oil
- 4 limes
- Pepper jelly (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Mix in egg; then mix in flours until thoroughly combined.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Working in batches of 3 to 4 fritters at a time, drop 1 tablespoon batter per fritter into the oil and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute each side.
- Transfer fritters to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain; season with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime.
- Serve immediately with remaining lime wedges and, If you like, store-bought pepper jelly ( we use the Stone Wall Kitchen Red Pepper Jelly) and/ or sour cream
Keywords: Corn, Fritters, Appetizer