I have had frayed ankle length jeans on my mind ever since I did this post on cropped flared jeans earlier this Summer. I realized I had a pair of bootcut jeans that had shrunken up in the wash and were a little too short for anything other than the flattest of flats. Instead of getting rid of them, I decided to transform them into a more useful length and updated frayed style.
Have a pair of jeans that are too short or need a re-fresh? How about fraying the hem?
I love a DIY project and fraying my jeans turned out to be really easy. You need a few supplies and a really good pair of fabric scissors. I will show you the steps below and you can grab the instructions to do it yourself!
Here is what I did and to make it super easy – Grab your FREE Step-by-Step Guide with Instructions and Supplies with How to Fray Yours Jeans
DIY – How to Fray Jeans
1 . Try on your jeans and fold them to the length you want them to be after you cut them. I erred on the longer side to be safe. (2.5″ versus the 3″ I folded them to)
2. Measure the folded portion of the Jeans to determine how many inches you want to cut off.
3. Turn jeans hem smooth and lay on flat surface.
4. Pin the pant leg together so that when you cut them it will be even on all sides
5. Using a Measuring Tape, mark the jeans with a Marking Pencil (that dissolves when washed) at the desired length you want to cut. I cut mine at 2.5 inches. I figured I could always go shorter and I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to fray them and that makes it even shorter.
6. Using a Good Sharp Scissors cut along marked chalk line through the jeans
7. Using a Seam Ripper pull the threads along the cut edge of the jeans. Pull as many as you want but remember the hem gets shorter with the more you pull.
8. Put jeans in the washing machine and wash/ dry as you prefer.
9. You can leave the hanging frayed edges or cut the long bits off. I cut mine off to make a cleaner edge but know they will fray more as I wear them.
10. Ta Da! That’s all .. How easy is that?
You can make them too by grabbling the Step-by-Step Guide and transform your jeans to a new look!
Look how cute they turned out! Click to see post