Drinking coffee every morning is one of my favorite rituals. I love the smell, taste and time for myself. Hot or cold, I am a fan! On a recent trip to Disney World, I had the most delicious Castaway Cold Brew a offering during Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival.
Castaway Cold Brew: A creamy combination of Joffrey’s Shakin’ Jamaican™ Nitro Cold Brew and sweet cream). It is made with Joffrey’s Shakin’ Jamaican Nitro Cold Brew, Irish cream syrup, half & half, and is topped with whipped cream. You can request it dairy-free by subbing the half and half with oat or almond milk and skipping the whipped cream topping.
The difference between Nitro cold brew coffee and regular cold brew coffee comes down to the way they’re served. Regular cold brew is served exactly how it’s made: cold-steeped coffee grounds filtered and poured over ice. On the other hand, nitro cold brew is infused with nitrogen after the cold brew process. In turn, the nitrogen adds a smoother feel to the coffee, creating a velvety foam at the top while also adding a richer and nuttier flavor.
I am not normally a fan of flavored coffee, the Jamaican Me Crazy is a blend of caramel, vanilla, & coffee Liqueur, but it was a hot August morning and it was the only cold option available. I asked for it with almond milk and no whipped cream. WHOA!!!!!! Talk about wow! That iced coffee did not stand a chance!
TIP: PIN IT to Pinterest for Later
When something is that good, you want to make it at home!
I immediately tried to figure out how I could replicate it at home. I know I can’t do the Nitro part, but I could figure out cold brew!
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee at Home
After a little research, I found this Cold Brew Coffee Maker that takes all the guesswork out of the process. It is so simple and the results were a delicious, smooth, and strong iced coffee.
Here are the steps:
Click here to watch me show you how
- Fill the coffee maker with water leaving about a 1/2 to one inch of space.
- Pour the coffee grounds into the filter basket up to the top of the mesh (medium/ coarse is better but regulars grinds will also work). You can scoop 1 1/14 cups, but I found pouring it in worked better and took out a step.
- Screw the coffee filled filter basket to the lid and then place into the water. Screw the top on until it is fully closed and locked.
- Shake well
- Place in the refrigerator for 24 – 48 hours. Shake it every now and again to move the water around the grounds.
- Serve over ice or heated, diluted to taste with more water or milk.
- The manufacturer recommends a 1:1 ratio of water/milk over ice. Or for a stronger flavor 3/4 coffee concentrate with 1/4 cup water/milk.
note: I topped off the water in the jug after I removed the filter basket. I tried it with sweetened almond milk and then black, both were delicious. I could have added a little more water, but I wouldn’t have added more creamer as I prefer a more black coffee. You can play around with the water/ milk to see what you like best.
Our house is now filled with the smell of the flavored coffee and I am one happy sipper. It is not exactly the same experience as being in the Disney Parks, but it does take me back to a fun memory and I love the taste.
And because I am being a little little more adventurous…I am going to try the Disney Happy Harvest Blend next..
other posts you may enjoy: The Best Looking White Coffee Makers and Healthy Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins