Did you know that there is a process to styling curly hair?? I didn’t have any idea.
I thought I would share what I have learned and, hopefully, help someone rediscover their natural curls along the way. I am going to do some videos as well and that may be easier to understand. But for now here is a pretty long post of the steps I use to style my curly hair.
If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen my journey and the Video of me styling my hair and what it looks like step-by-step.
Below are a few close ups so you get idea of my curls.
Here are the steps I take to Style My Curly Hair
This is a work in progress.. and I will continue to change up my products and see how they work with my hair. This is what I am doing now..
- Wash hair: I thoroughly wet hair and using this shampoo on my scalp only. I massaged my scalp with my fingertips working the shampoo throughout my scalp.
- Condition hair: Add a good amount of 3 in 1 conditioner with praying hands technique. Which means pressing conditioner down the length of your hair. I then rake with my fingers or comb/brush through hair to get tangles out. There are two camps here ; one says you should never use a comb/brush on curly hair as it removes the curl families. The other camp says it is ok because it helps form the curl families. For me, I have really thick, tangly hair and I usually need to use a comb/ brush after conditioning in the shower and it has not hurt my curls. I do not brush/comb my hair any other time. Once it is tangle free, I flip my hair upside down and add more conditioner – using praying method- pressing conditioner into hair and then rake, scrunch.
- I then rinse out the conditioner.
- I Turn off shower, dry my body off and wrap towel around me while still in the shower..I know you wanted to know this step 😂
- With soaking wet hair flipped upside down, I add in Curlsmith Hold Me Softly Balm in praying method. Then rake, then scrunch. All soaking wet with head upside down.
- Taking microfiber towel, I scrunch hair up from ends taking excess water out of hair. I can also lightly twist towel on top of my head if I want to get a robe on or dressed.
- I may at this point add some Curl Gelee to my fingers and scrunch that into my hair. This is a stronger hold and helps with the frizz.
- If there are any curls that are not forming or fuzzy, I will comb just that lock of hair with a fine tooth comb, wet it with the spray mister and scrunch it with the gel.
- I then flip my head upside down and gently dry with the diffuser. Placing the hair in the diffuser and moving the diffuser closer to my head.
- I will add a small claw clip to the top of my crown around my forehead to puff up and give height to the front bits. I will diffuse that area with the clip in i.
- Once completely dry, I will scrunch a pump or few drops of oil through my hair to break any cast and add some smoothness.
I should also note that I sleep on a Slip Silk Pillowcase and use these Scrunchies to “tie up” my hair when I sleep.
Curly Hair Products
Many of you may know this but for those of you who do not. I styled my hair straight most of my life and, not until we moved to Florida, did I started to embrace my curls. The humidity makes it hard for my hair to stay straight and I need to fight the frizz. Which lead me on a journey of figuring out how to style my hair.
Turns out you need more products than you realize and water is a good thing when you want to control dryness and frizz. I had no idea!
Here are all the products I have been experimenting with and learning to love.
Shampoo and Conditioner: Curl Talk Curl Shampoo and 3-1 Conditioner, Deep Conditioning Masque
- Curlsmith Hold Me Softly Style Balm
- Curlsmith Curl Defining Styling Souffle
- Oribe Curl Control Silkening Cream
- Oribe Curl Gelee for Shine and Definition
- Curlsmith Bonding Oil
- Curlsmith In Shower Style Fixer
Day Two Hair Products
- Microfiber Towel
- Dyson Hair Dryer and Diffuser
- Shower Cap
- Travel – T3 Featherweight Folding Hairdryer and diffuser
- Slip Silk Pillowcase
- Satin Scrunchies
- Small Claw Clips
- Invisibobble Spiral Hair Bands – These do not snag my hair and I wear them when I work out.
- No 1 Hair Pins ( I did a post on them here) they are awesome. Less Expensive Version
- Shower cap
- T3 Compact Travel Dryer – I have an older version
- T3 Diffuser for Compact Dryer