This post contains Affiliate Links
I had such high hopes for this slow cooker soup. I have been trying to find the delicious Corn Chowder recipe that a good friend of mine made years ago but haven’t had luck locating it 🙁 I knew this Chicken and Corn Chowder Recipe was not it, but I thought it might be a good healthier and much lighter version. Sadly, I should have know better because it was not as good as I had hoped it would be. The crispy bacon (anything with bacon is heaven in my books!!) with the bright corn popped with flavor alongside the vegetables, in a very nice broth but it was the chicken that I really did not like. I think it would be better if you added pieces of cooked chicken breast or left over rotisserie chicken right at the end instead of the thighs that got cooked to death. Next time… I will try that and see how that works. And yes, I will try it again and report back!
HELP!! If you know of a good Corn Chowder recipe, please let me know… And if it is full of butter and cream.. that is OK. we will give it a go!
Currently, I am thinking of trying this one pot corn and crab chowder and this cheddar cheese corn chowder.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Chowder
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 ounces red potato, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 4 cups chicken broth 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Place chicken, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and corn into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and cornstarch. Stir in half and half mixture and butter during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve immediately, topped with bacon and garnished with chives, if desired.
*Half and half is equal parts of whole milk and cream. For 1 cup half and half, you can substitute 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream or 2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream.
Keywords: slow cooker, corn, chowder
Shop the Post
Carolyn Barlow says
Cheddar chicken CHOWDER from Cooking Light! 🙂 http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheddar-chicken-chowder
Thank you Carolyn!!! I will give that recipe a go!! xxRidgely