This post contains Affiliate Links
I have been craving ginger cake for the last few weeks, I use to get a piece every time I was down near Dean & Deluca in the city and have not had any since then. I searched around and, as luck would have it, my Mother-in-law had a recipe of her Mothers to share with me. She gave me a splattered card of an old fashioned, well loved recipe… to me, that is the best way to get a new (old) recipe! I was so excited to make it! It is just as I was hoping, rich with spices and flavor. Our house smelled amazing when it was cooking and it tasted even better than it smelled (if that is even possible!) I pretty much ate the entire cake myself… and am going to make it again this weekend. It’s a snap to make and, if you serve it for company, they will think you are a culinary wiz!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cups Baking Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup Melted Shortening
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Melt the shortening carefully in a pot on the stove. Watch it and take it off the heat when fully melted.
- Combine the brown sugar, molasses, shortening and eggs in a mixer.
- Place flour, baking soda and all the spices in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three parts. Blend well and be careful not to put mixer on too high and have the flour blow everywhere.
- When all mixed together, add in the cup of boiling water.
- Pour into a square baking dish
- Cook in the oven for 30 min test with cake stick to make sure done, remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream
Preston Davis says
Thank you, my favorite with maple icing!
What do you use for the ‘melted shorting’– does that have to be something like Crisco or can it be a more healthy alternative– something like organic sunflower oil? Would love though on this – was hoping to make it this morning!
Hi Wendy – I used Crisco and I am not sure about using an alternative. If you do, will you let me know how it is?? Good luck. Ridgely
THANK YOU!! Will do