A few weekends ago, I got all excited about making anything and everything with apples. I ended up pulling a ton of different but very similar recipes and picked this apple brownie to start with. I am a weekend baker and can find my way around a recipe but I do not know all the ins and outs of baking. When I was preparing the mixture my husband pulled out all our baking tins and I picked the individual tartlet pans thinking they might be a fun way to make the “brownies”.
After reading the reviews, I decided to add a little nutmeg and vanilla extract to the batter. I spooned the batter into the tartlet pans (seen below) to the top and then sprinkled the brown sugar cinnamon topping over them. I placed a few extra apple piece on top as garnish. Luckily, I placed the tartlets on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper because they exploded over the sides when they started baking. At first I was worried I had made a huge mistake be overfilling the pans, but turns out it was a delicious addition to the dessert.
The overflow became a gorgeous crispy cookie.. it was so good!
Another really good thing was that the tartlet pans had removable bottoms. That made it so much easier to serve. I popped them out of the tins and left the bottoms on when I plated them. It was just us so I left the bottom plate on but for a party or guests I would use a spatula and take it off the bottom.
The crispy edges were easy to break off and after topping each one with ice cream, I added the crispy cookie bits. YUM!!! It was one of the most delicious desserts I have eaten. I can’t wait to make it again.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples (I used Gala) – peeled, cored and thinly sliced (extra for garnish) *I use this apple corer and cutter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional -I did not add)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish. ( I used individual 5 inch tart pans)
- In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, sugar, Vanilla and egg until fluffy.
- Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish(s)
- Combine to brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter and top with a few sliced apples.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.