This post contains Affiliate Links
This is the best time of year to bake with fresh fruit and this weekend I thought it would be fun to make these Glazed Blueberry Blackberry Turnovers. They looked and sounded so good that I grabbed some fresh berries at the store and a box of pillsbury pie crust.
During Summer, I am a huge fan of homemade desserts with fresh ingredients but don’t want to spend my whole day in the kitchen. We also stay in rental houses or with friends where the kitchen may not be stocked with the equipment needed for a more complicated recipe. That’s when a pre-packaged dough comes in handy!
Use pre-made pie crust .. I promise your guests won’t know the difference…and I won’t tell!
The dough comes in two perfectly rolled out circles that I cut to make a square. So easy and no mess! Once I cut all the squares, I brushed on the egg mixture on all the edges and then dropped a spoonful of the berry mixture on each one. I folded over the corners to form a triangle and, using a fork, pressed down the edges.
Don’t forget to cut a small slit in the top of each one to let the steam out when baking!
If ginger isn’t for you – you may want to omit it. It is a strong flavor and gives a nice kick but if you are making them for kids – they may not like it. I would also glaze only half of the batch. The glaze is super sweet and I think I would prefer them without the glaze. So some with and some without.
They would be really good with any fruit that is fresh and in season. I am excited to try them again! If you make them, please comment and let me know what you think.
Blueberry Blackberry Turnovers
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
¾ cup fresh (or frozen, thawed) blueberries
¾ cup fresh (or frozen, thawed) halved blackberries
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 large egg, beaten to blend
¼ cup heavy cream
1 disk All-Purpose Pie Dough or 1 Box Pillsbury Pie Crust (refrigerator section in supermarket)
Glaze and Assembly
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- warm water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Toss blueberries, blackberries, sugar, ginger, lime juice, salt, and 2 Tbsp. flour in a medium bowl to combine.
- Beat egg and heavy cream in a small bowl until no streaks remain.
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 15×10″ rectangle. Cut a thin border around dough to square off edges. Cut dough in half lengthwise and then in thirds crosswise to form six 5″ squares.
- With a Pastry Brush, brush edges with egg mixture, then mound about ¼ cup blueberry filling in middle each square.
- Working with 1 square at a time, fold corner opposite filling up and over to create a triangle; press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Cut about a 1″-long slit in the center of each turnover.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and juices run from slits, 35–45 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet until slightly warm.
Glaze and Assembly
- Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt in large wide bowl. Whisking constantly, add warm water a tablespoonful at a time until glaze is thick and smooth and falls off the whisk in a slowly dissolving ribbon (it should look like sweetened condensed milk).
- Working one at a time, dip top sides of slightly warm turnovers into glaze, letting excess drip back into bowl.
- Transfer to a wire rack (set on parchment paper to collect drips) and let sit until turnovers are cool and glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
Shortcut: I used Pillsbury Pie Crust from the refrigerator section. It comes with 2 pie crusts that are already rolled out in a circle – so I cut off the sides to form a square. Then cut the square in 4 even square pieces. I used both pie crusts to make 8 turnovers.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 540
- Sugar: 43g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 76g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: Blueberry, blackberry, Glazed, Turnover, Fruit