This post contains Affiliate Links
I always seem to be in a rush these days and know that I will be at the beach most of the July 4th weekend, so I went looking for a super easy and delicious recipe that would be red, white and blue.
Beach days call for EASY, simple and fresh ingredients!
With an abundance of ripe and sweet berries in the stores and at the local markets, I can’t help myself! I want to eat them all day long!
I made this strawberry shortcake, added blueberries and viola!
I have never made a shortcake before and this one was a snap to prepare and then cooked for about 20 minutes. Done!
We had a yummy, pretty healthy and patriotic dish in no time. Just what I was looking for.
If you are not a baker or are worried about a potentially difficult recipe, this is not that! promise!
Have a wonderful July 4th and please share in the comments any of your favorite red, white and blue recipes!
Strawberry and Blueberry Shortcake
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- for the strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 lbs strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- for the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- for the whipped cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Place a metal bowl and beaters in the freezer during shortcake cooking time.
- Remove shortcake from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
- Mix all whipped cream ingredients in the metal bowl with metal beaters about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
Recipe: strawberry and blueberry shortcake
to buy: Juliska Berry & Thread Scalloped Plates / Crate & Barrel Halstead Flatware / Juliska Berry &Thread Bowl / Pique Napkins old
CAN YOU SHARE THE RECIPE?
Oh No- the recipe card disappeared! Thank you for letting me know! I added a link to it at the bottom of the post! Thank you and happy 4th! Ridgely
THANKS LOOKS GREAT 🙂