Is the weather getting you down? Are you finding it hard to motivate during the darker shorter days? I know Winter affects my energy and I have a few tricks that helped me get back into my groove.
Here are 8 things You Can do to Beat the Winter Blues
1. Get your Vitamin D – This is a big one for me. When I was commuting to and from work in the dark and then being inside at work all day long, I was deficient in Vitamin D. Besides adding a Vitamin D supplement to my diet, my doctor recommended I get outside on sunny days for at least 20 minutes. Get a quick walk around the block or park the farthest spot in the parking lot and enjoy the sun as you get to your destination.
2. Sleep Tight – Get the right amount of sleep you need to wake up refreshed and ready to hit the day running. A great option is to wake up with a light therapy sound machine.
Did you know that there are 4 Sleep Chronotypes? The Dolphins are more restless and get the least amount of sleep, Lions are the early birds, Bears need a solid 8 hours a night (that’s ME!!) and Wolfs are night owls. Want to know which one you are? Take this test to find your sleep chronotype.
3. Exercise Regularly – This can be hard to fit in when the days are short but moving your body will awaken your energy and give you more focus. If you are short on time… get outside for a quick walk. Throw on a warm jacket, a good hat that covers your ears, a pair of gloves and the right pair of sneakers/boots for the weather. If it is a bright shiny day you will tick off two things from this list! Vitamin D and Exercise. Way to go!
5. Stick to a Healthy Diet .. aka skip the sweets and carbs – Avoid your energy crashing from eating foods high in sugar or carbs. Instead, stick to protein and good fats. I enjoy snacks with protein to keep me going. See this List of Healthy Snacks (FREE download)
6. Get a Weighted Blanket – A weighted blanket can reduce stress and anxiety, giving you a better nights sleep. There are so many to choose from and some can be very heavy. I have my eye on this woven cotton style because it looks like a gorgeous throw blanket (with benefits) and this one that is more like a duvet.
Tips for Weighted Blankets: Be sure to follow the guidelines for picking the right blanket, the weight should be in proportion to a sleeper’s own weight. Most manufacturers recommend choosing a heavy blanket that weighs 10-20 percent of your body weight. The size also matters, if it is too big and drapes over the sides of the bed, it could slide off to the floor while you’re sleeping. It is better to have a twin size for one person in a larger bed.
7. Power Nap – Take a 20-minute nap to recharge and refresh. Be sure to keep it to 20 minutes and not longer or you will wake groggy and unfocused. There are lots of Apps to choose from.. type Power Nap into the App Store for options or use a light therapy sound machine to get to sleep and wake you up . You can snuggle up with your weighted blanket!
8. Take a Nice Long Soak – Nothing is more relaxing than a long soak in the bath. Add some delicious lavender foaming bubbles, calming bath bombs or essential bath oil for the senses. Then before bed, wash your face and add this lovely Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion. You will wake up rested and beautiful!