This post contains Affiliate Links
Now that you have had a little bit of time to try out our families recipe for making white rice, you can put your new cooking skills to the test with these Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Beef. We are not big fans of green peppers and like to use the red, orange and yellow ones, but if you prefer green then by all means use them. We have substituted corn flakes, parmesan cheese and gluten free bread crumbs as the topping on those times we didn’t have potato chips in the house or wanted to change it up. Hope you enjoy this recipe and if you have any tips, please share with us!
Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Beef (Gluten Free)
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 3 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup dry long-grain rice cooked
- 1/2 cup potato chips, crushed (we have also used cornflakes)
- 8 large bell peppers (any color), top removed, seeds and ribs removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high.
- Add sausage and ground beef, cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage/ beef mixture to a medium bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet along with onion and garlic, cook until onions are translucent.
- Add drained tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook through
- Add tomato mixture to bowl with sausage/beef, along with Parmesan, rice, and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet or shallow baking with oil and arrange bell peppers, cut side up, on sheet or baking dish
- Divide rice mixture among peppers and top with crushed potato chips.
- Bake until potato chips are browned and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.