I posted this last year and reposting it now as it is always a huge help to have a checklist at the ready.
I love to organize and shop for Back-to-School items. Nothing gets me more excited than new supplies! Seriously! It brings back so many memories of getting ready for my new school year…new colored pens to match my new colored notebooks.. and a fresh calendar! Remember those days?
As always with this great blogging community, I would love to hear from YOU! What are the things your boarding and college-age kids can’t live without at school? I will add it to the list so we can all benefit from our shared experience.
Click here for your Free Printable Dorm Room Checklist
We will be packing up a Junior and a recent graduate (into his own apartment! I can’t wait to tackle his packing list in another post) for College in August – fingers crossed. Both of our sons have been away at school for some time and we have gotten pretty good at getting them organized with everything they need to be happy in their dorm rooms.
Here are some things that are really useful:
- Comfortable Desk Chair – This is one item usually overlooked but so important. The small wooden issued desk chairs are uncomfortable and we are happy to promote studying in a comfy, ergonomic chair.
- Tool Kit – You will need this to assemble the chair and any other shelves, furniture you buy. Make sure it has a measuring tape and don’t forget scissors! This is usually overlooked
- Wall Hanging Supplies – You can not be over prepared for move in day. We have been known to be rushing around looking for push pins, missing scissors… so on the list are; Push Pins, Command Removable Hooks, and Over Door Hooks.
- Deep Pocket Fitted XL Twin Sheets – I like to buy several white fitted sheets for each boy – so one on the bed and one in reserve. A deep pocket is necessary to get over the mattress topper and mattress pad. We use Duvets and covers – so white works with whatever pattern they have.
- Lap Desk – If the kids want to work in their bed, this is a must-have. I know my laptop gets super hot and having the lap desk makes it much more efficient and comfortable. Having one big enough for a mouse is also a nice option.
- Desktop Organizer and Shelf – The space above the desks is so underutilized and finding a great organizing shelf unit is a great way to store supplies and books.
- Fan – Everyone needs a fan. It is great for moving the air and as a noise machine. The Dyson is expensive, but our kids love how easy it is to clean and I love that it is blade-less. They have each had theirs for years – money well spent.
- Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper – These are a game changer. Our kids LOVE their toppers and have even asked for them on their home beds. We spent more on the Tempur-Pedic ones and they have help up year after year. I will wash the cover when they come home for Summer.
- Hangars! Don’t forget the slim hangars. I recommend going with a multi-purpose plastic style that can hold heavy items, wet clothes, has hooks, and grips for slippy fabrics. Do NOT buy the black velvet ones – I have found they have left stains on my blouses.
Shop: 1. Keuirg K-Mini Single Serve Coffee Maker (reusable coffee filter pod) / 2. Yeti Rambler Insulated Tumbler / 3. Tool Kit with case / 4. Desk Lamp / 5. Compact Steamer / 6. Electric Cooker Pot / 7. Bath Towels / 8. Peel and Stick Removable Wallpaper / 9. 2020 -2021 Calendar – Planner / 10. Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker / 11. Lap Desk/ 12. Portable Charger / 13. Plastic Storage Containers / 14. Desk Top Shelf Organizer / 15. Apple Bluetooth AirPods / 16. Dyson Bladeless Fan / 17. Wedge Pillow
Shop for Everything You Need -> College Dorm Essentials Shop
Another post you may enjoy : How to Organize Every Cabinet! and Solutions to Organize Your Drawers